Tuesday, April 23, 2013

God will lead us how to pray for our families


Last week, as I began reading a book by Evelyn Christenson called, What Happens When We Pray For Our Familes, I decided that I needed to get serious about praying for my family.  I began to pray as Evelyn suggested.  I made a poster of how I was supposed to pray, put it on my wall in My LISTENING Room, and then set out doing it.  I was so amazed because what she said really did happen.  I’m so excited because I really saw God answer my prayers.  It was incredible. 
Here are a few postings from My Journal. 

Day one:  I prayed and asked God what he wanted me to pray for my family.  Without thinking, I picked up the Daily Bread and began reading it.  It suggested that I read the following verse.
James 1:5  If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault and it will be given to him.

Then I prayed back to God what he showed me through the words of the Bible.

Dear God,  Please give each person in my family wisdom. ( I prayed for each person.)  I know I need it, so please fill me with your wisdom.  Thank you for showing me how to pray for my family today.
 Day two:  I prayed and asked God what he wanted me to pray for my family.

I was sitting at my desk in My LISTENING Room.I turned and looked at a shelf in the  corner of the room.  I noticed a version of the Bible that I had not read for awhile.  I decided to pick it up and look through it and I came across an underlined verse that spoke to my heart.
James 1:19  My dear brothers, take not of this.  Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry.

Then I prayed back to God what he showed me through the words of the Bible. 

Dear God,  I need to learn to be slow to speak.  I needed to listen more.  Please be with each person in our family (I named each one.) that we would really listen to each other.  Maybe we need to speak less and listen more. I am sure I do.  Thank you for speaking to me today.

Day two:  I prayed and asked God what he wanted me to pray for my family.
Again, I was in my LISTENING Room reading my Bible and a verse popped out at me.  This was my verse for the day.

John 13:34  So now I am giving you a new commandment.  Love each other.  Just as I have loved you, you should love each other.
Then I prayed back to God what he showed me through the words of the Bible. 

Dear God,  I know our family loves each other, but do we love each other enough to give of ourselves to each other.  Do we love each other enough to tell each other how much we care?  Do we love each other enough to help each other in need?  Do we love each other enough? 
I want to challenge you to try this.  It has been such an exciting week to actually watch God show me from his Word how I should pray for my family.

Quote from the book what Happens When We Pray For Our Families. Evelyn: page 7
Many have asked how I know what I should pray for my family members.  First, I pray asking God to show me what He wants me to pray.  Then I just wait on God to tell me—either as I read His Word, the Bible, or during prayer by His calling to my remembrance the Scripture He wants to be the basis of my prayers for them.  Then I write down and date what God said, either in the margin of my Bible or in notes I keep on file.  Then I pray so the whole process is God—from Him and then back to Him in Prayer. 

I have read Chapter Two, Crisscross Praying, which was amazing.  I wanted to share my thoughts about it, but I really felt that I wanted to share how God led my prayers for my family this week. 
I will post my comments about Crisscross Praying on Friday of this week.  Hope visit here again this week.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment