Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Changed When the Holy Spirit Reminds Me

Quote from the book Lord Change me. Evelyn:  page 77

One of the greatest ways God changes me is by bringing Scripture to mind I have hidden deep in my heart.  And He always picks the right Scripture at the right time.  What a reason for staying in His Word daily—reading, studying, devouring it.  And then what a challenge to stay so sensitive to the Holy Spirit’s speaking that He can reach down and recall just exactly what I need at the very minute I need it. 

7/9/87 was written next to this verse in my Bible.

Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.  Psalms 27:14 

I remember the day the Holy Spirit brought me to this verse.  It seems like it was just yesterday, but it was many years ago.

It was a very hot muggy July afternoon in Manila, Philippines, where I was living as a missionary.  I had been waiting on God for a very long time and I was miserable because I do not like to wait.  I had been pleading with God, “I am ready to ‘move out’ and begin a new ministry.”  I prayed for God to give me clarity through the words of the Bible.

As I opened the pages of my Bible, the Holy Spirit spoke to my heart, “Go to Psalm 27.”  I obeyed and began reading this chapter, looking for the verse that would speak to my heart, but NOTHING happened.  I agonized about it wondering why God’s Spirit had not spoken and it was like God’s Spirit said, “Read the chapter again.”  The whole chapter was on one page, but there was one verse at the top of the next page.  I had not seen this verse.

The verse I had missed was Psalm 27:14.  When I read it I realized God was speaking to me to “Wait,” but I did not want to wait.  I struggled with submitting, but eventually a lack of peace in my life brought me to submission.  This was my first encounter with Psalm 27:14.

Throughout the years God’s Spirit has brought me to this same passage of scripture over 10 times.  I have written each date next to the verse.  Each time I was brought back to this verse, God was speaking, “Wait.” 

Quote from the book Lord Change me. Evelyn:  page 77

One of the greatest ways God changes me is by bringing Scripture to mind I have hidden deep in my heart.  And He always picks the right Scripture at the right time. 

Looking back on this now, I can see God had a wonderful purpose in my ‘Waiting” time.  He changed me through this process.  Waiting is never easy for me, but it was so important for God’s plan for my life.

Dear God,

I wanted to move when you were telling me to ‘Wait’.  Please forgive me.  I can see now why the waiting was necessary.  Thank you for taking the blinders off of my eyes and teaching me obedience when the Holy Spirit prompts me to a certain passage of Scripture.  I need to trust you and then obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment