Tuesday, October 22, 2013

What Happens When Women (We) Pray

Throughout my life, I have experienced the power of prayer in so many ways. 

There is power in prayer, but the hard part is finding the time to pray.  As I have shared with you before, this has been a very hard year for me, filled with many challenges and growing times.  During some of those times, prayer was the only thing I could do.  T he circumstances were out of my control.  All I could do is pray, but there were days I was so broken that I could not pray. 

In many ways, reading Evelyn’s books have kept me trusting and believing that God was still there working everything together for my good.  Through the ups and downs of this year, I feel like I am ready to turn the corner.  I want to pray, pray, and pray.  To be more specific, I want to pray, pray, pray, for myself and my relationship with God and my family.    

Dear God,

Thank you for this challenging year.  You have taught me so many things.  One this day, October 22, 2013, I give my life and my family to you.  I want prayer to be the number one focus in my life.  As we begin a new book by Evelyn called, What Happens When Women (WE) Pray, I want to use the power of prayer in ways I have never experienced before.  Teach me all that I need to learn, and unleash the power of prayer in my life.  Thank you for what you are going to do. 

In Jesus Name, Amen.

Our New Book:  What Happens When Women (We) Pray by Evelyn Christenson.

Quote from page 17

Prayers, Not Plans or Programs

We learned that things could happen when we didn’t plan at all, but just prayed.

Quote from page 18

Pray First, Plan Afterwards

Even if you are plugged into God’s will and know we’re going in the right direction, we may be going at a snail’s pace.  God says, “Look, you see only a tenth of what I have for you.  There are nine-tenths that you’re not seeing that you don’t know anything about.”

Good wants us to make ourselves available to Him and to say before we start to plan, “Lord, tell me what You want me to do, where You want me to go, how You want me to do it.”  Then our omnipotent God, with all the abundance of heaven at His disposal, will pour out His power upon us.  Instead of following our tiny, tiny, plans, God wants to open heaven and flood us.  It’s exciting.

This sounds so refreshing to me.  I need to pray and not plan, but let God lead me.  Oh, how enlightening this is for me today.  I feel released from me doing it, and at peace giving God the controls in my life.  I am here to do whatever he wants.  I don’t want to plan my life, I want him to.

Set FREE from planning.  Released to let go and let God work his plans for me. 

Quote from page 19

In six months we had learned that “the effectual, fervent prayer” of a righteous person avails much—not plans or programs, but effectual, fervent prayer.

Yes, PRAYER is powerful, but what will happen if I don’t use it. 

Quote from page 28-30

A Prerequisite to Answered Prayer

Do you wonder why your prayers aren’t answered?  We’re going to learn many reasons why they are not, in the chapters that follow, but here is the first one:  sin (or sins) in your life.  It is “the effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous person that availeth much.”  If your prayers aren’t availing much, this many be the reason. 

Your problem may not be sins, but sin.  And this is a very important point.  When our Lord was talking to His disciples just before His crucifixion, He told them that He was going to send the Comforter, the Holy spirit, who would convict the world –those who were not Christ’s followers—“of sin, because they believe not on me.”  (John 16:9)  This is the sin that will keep God from hearing intercessory prayer—the sin of not believing in “Christ as your person Savior.  If this is your sin, the only prayer from you that God promises to hear is one of repentance and faith as your invite Christ into your life.

Dear Father,

Bring to my mind that sin or sins keeping You from hearing my intercessory prayers.       I confess whatever You have brought to my mind as sin.

Thank you, Lord, for cleansing me as You promised in 1 John 1:9 and qualifying me for effectual, intercessory prayer.

1 John 1:8-9

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins a
nd purify us from all unrighteousness.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment