Monday, October 14, 2013

Chapter 12 Losing My Right to be Free from Suffering

This has been a perfect book to read during a challenging time in my life.  You know, life is filled with hard times no matter who we are.  Do we like going through these times in our lives?  No, at least not at first. 

This past year and reading this book has opened my eyes to a lot of things that I take for granted.  The first one that comes to my mind is that God has blessed me with the most wonderful husband in the world.  He is always there for me and supports me in whatever I feel led to do.  My niece is staying with us for awhile.  I asked her if she wanted to get married someday and her response touched my heart.  “Yes, if I could have a marriage like you and Dave.  You guys are so sweet to each other.”  I guess the happiness I enjoy with my husband shows.  So I can happily say today.

Dear God, thank you for my wonderful husband, Dave.

Then when I think of my children I am blessed.  Life is not perfect in our household, but we are supportive of each other.  This has been a very difficult year for us losing our right to have a completely healthy family.  I have been forced to accept that one of our children might be experiencing mental health issues.  It’s all been very hard, but we are in this together.  We recently had a family phone call to talk about the issues facing our family.  Every one of our children are very busy in their professions, but they stopped, took the time to talk together how we can help our son.  After the phone call ended I felt so blessed.  I did not feel alone in what we were going through.  Praise God.  We can gain in our lives, while losing. 

Dear God, Thank you for our four sons and three daughters in law. 

As I travel around speaking and sharing the gospel with women, I have seen so many women with REAL heath issues.  Many of these women experience pain all the time.  I can run, I can bike, and I can swim and do just about anything I want without pain.  Yes, I could be taking my health for granted, but not anymore.

Dear God, Thank you for good health.

What about life?  In the midst of the pain and suffering in my life, can I find something good to be thankful for, something to praise God for? 

As I finish the book Gaining Through Losing, I am encouraged as I go through the trial that I am.  

Quote from the book Gaining Through Losing. Evelyn:  page 172

The more I lose my right to have suffering removed, the more I gain the ultimate privilege possible for any human being: not only being like Christ—but actually sharing His suffering

Page 178

It’s the word commit in 1 Peter 4:19. 

So then those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.

When we suffer the same word Christ used on the cross when He was suffering while absolutely innocent.  Jesus, our example who all through His life entrusted Himself to His Father’s will.  Even at the time of His supreme suffering, the crucifixion, He committed His soul to the Father.

Page 179

And, because I too have LOST my right to be free from suffering, I have GAINED the greatest of all gains:  I will reign with Jesus.

Are you gaining through your losses—with God?

Honestly, I have learned from this book first hand, this year.  Even though I am not at the end of losing, I have the hope that “something to gain will happen through my story.”

Thank you dear Evelyn, for all you have taught me through this book.  I remember now, the first time I read this I had to stop in the middle somewhere because I did not want to deal with losing in my life.  Losing is not easy, and how well you know this, but through it all God’s reasons will one day shine through.  I do not know what is going to happen through my Losing Year, but I do know that I am a different person because of this year.

Dear God,

Thank you for opening my eyes to the fact that even though it has been a losing year in some ways in my life, I need to look beyond and realize the good that is still there waiting for me.  Thank you for opening my eyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment