Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Chapter 3- Forgiven as We Forgive

Quote from the book, What Happens When Women (We) Pray, Evelyn:  page 32

So, unless we keep our relationships with other people clear, we cannot be effective intercessory pray-ers.  Now, let’s remember one more thing from chapter two:  God always hears the penitent sinner’s prayer confessing sin and seeking Christ as Savior.  God also hears the plea for forgiveness of sins by the one who is already a Christian.  But for us to refuse to forgive others is itself sin.  We can’t be right with God and effective intercessors if we harbor the sin of the unforgiving spirit—even though we may have confessed all other known sins.  This is a very difficult lesson for some to learn, but it is important.

One thing I have learned about myself is that I cannot live with bad relationships. 

I realized this first hand while living in the Philippines as a missionary.  When you live, work and have a social life with the same people it can be a breeding ground for sin.  I was constantly working on relationships in our Church House.   So many times I had to swallow my pride and say I am sorry when I did not feel like I was the only one who had done anything wrong.  There were times that I did not want to forgive someone for something they had done to our family, but we knew God wanted us to have a forgiving heart.  The blessings would always follow.

I have someone in my life, right now, who is upset with me because I chosen to obey God over listening to them about a situation.  I have forgiven them in my heart and I am at complete peace.  In fact, today I decided to send them a “thinking of you card”.

When God teaches us about the way we should live, he also gives us what we need to be obedient to him.

Chapter 4-Praying in One Accord

CHANGES

When people start praying together in one accord to our Father in heaven, in the name of Jesus, and practice praying together, things begin to change.  Our lives change, our families change, our churches change, our communities change,  Changes take place not when we study about prayer, not when we talk about it, not even when we memorize beautiful Scripture verses on prayer; it is when we actually pray that things begin to happen. 

I have spent my whole life praying for my family.  I have seen answers to prayers that they do not even know I prayed.  I know and have seen what the power of prayer can do.

I remember what happened after my mother died and went to heaven to be with Jesus.  I felt that something was missing in my life.  I knew my mother prayed for me every day and the lack of her prayers was very evident after she was gone. 

I wonder, what will happen to my family when I am gone.

What would happen in a family, in our communities, in our world if we all prayed together for the challenges we face in everyday life.  Just imagine it! 

I have a dream that one day everyone in my family will pray daily for each other.  Imagine what could happen!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment