Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Chapter 11: Losing My Right to Be an Unfit Christian

Quote from the book Gaining Through Losing. Evelyn:  page 153

God’s Exercise Program

Before the foundation of the world, God knew we would need spiritual as well as physical exercise.  So He placed in the Bible His spiritual exercise program.  Surprisingly, I have discovered that, as does physical exercise, it produces the same exhilarating lifestyle, pleasant mental state, an antidote to depression, the ability to respond to stress and pain, and adds life to one’s years!

But what about spiritual exercise?  Don’t be surprised if you don’t know.   In the Book of Hebrews we are told that we have all forgotten God’s method of exercising His children, as set forth in Proverbs 3:11-12, so the writer reminds us:

“My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord…for whom the Lord loveth He chasteneth… afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are EXERCISED thereby” (Hebrews 12:5-11 Caps are mine)

Exercised by what?  By an often misunderstood biblical word—chastisement.     

Accepting this teaching is often difficult because of our negative concept of the chastisement—assuming it to mean “punishment.”  This causes us to think that all the hard things which come to us are God’s form of retribution for our wrongdoing.  But the accurate definition of that word is “discipline, training.”  How different!  The purpose is just the opposite – not punishing, but perfecting.  God assuring us that the things which come into our lives and the things which He sends will be used by Him to exercise us—to make us fit for the tasks and trails of life.

Chastisement is not a word that makes me feel encouraged in my Christian walk, but “discipline, training” makes me feel a lot better.

Is it ever easy to experience pain and suffering in our lives?  No, it is very hard.

Hindsight can be 20/20 vision.  Looking back on this past year I can see how the challenging times I have been through have “grown me”.  It has been a process. 

In the beginning, I felt wounded and somewhat angry for the suffering that was occurring in my life.  It was honestly hard to keep believing that what I was going through was for my good.  I actually felt mad at God.  I did not like those feelings, but they were there.  I felt like a spoiled child.  I could not pull together the strength to cope, so as a result I shed many tears.

I knew God was always there and as I read my Bible, he would encourage me with verses like Isaiah 41:10, 1 Thessalonians 5:24, Colossians 4:2, Isaiah 57:10 and on and on.

Nothing changed UNTIL I finally gave it all to God. It was my turning point and I knew it.  After surrendering my pain to God, I truly began to experience  “peace in the storm”.  Slowly my “discipline, training” was developing in my life.

Even though the life challenge is still there, I am different, changed, and experiencing God’s strength.  I have peace like a river in my life.

Thank you Jesus!    

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment