Monday, August 19, 2013

What You Can Bear—Your Potential

Quote from the book Gaining Through Losing. Evelyn: page 51
 
The Expert Pruner Recently my friend Jane brought me a small purple passion plant which she had started from her own. While I was anxiously waiting for it to grow in its new environment, it suddenly shot straight up, resembling a purple and green bean pole. Common sense told me to pinch off the top, but I could not master the courage. For several weeks I approached it, fingers all poised, only to lose my nerve and retreat. I could not bear to hurt my little plant. Finally I steeled myself, gritted my teeth, and pinched. To my surprise, in just one week many new shoots appeared on the stalk, filling out the ugly leafless spots.

This plant would not do one thing until it was cut down, but once it was, it began to blossom. The same is true in my life. The cutting down process must occur before I will blossom, but it is not easy. Nobody likes the pruning process.

Quote from the book Gaining Through Losing. Evelyn: page 52
 
Since pruning means “purging by removal,” “cleansing by separation from,” and “cutting away living part,” we must ask, does God just allow or does he actually do something that hurts his own?

Quote from the book Gaining Through Losing. Evelyn: page 55
Jesus explained that God’s reason for pruning is never to hurt us but to produce more fruit. That glorious season we love so much. Fruit-bearing! Accomplished by God’s all-loving, all-wise process.

Gaining through losing…..Gaining through losing…. This is not an easy concept to grasp. In fact, when I think about it, I realize what it all means.  I can talk about it to others, but it can be hard to believe it way down deep within my soul. The only thing that can keep me going in the midst of my storm is remembering who God is and that he loves me. He can do anything. Yes, in the blink of an eye, the storms can disappear and the sun will shine through, but the waiting can be hard

The only way I can ever survive the storms of life is by getting alone with God and opening up the pages of my Bible. He always speaks truth and encouragement to keep me going. I cannot imagine going through the storms of life without God.

Dear God,
Please go before me and give me strength and peace in the storm that I am facing today. You know all about it. Thank you that I am not alone. Show me how I can truly Gain something valuable through my losing times. Please guide me to the end of this storm in your perfect timing. In Jesus Name

1 comment: