Monday, May 20, 2013

Touching Prayers

Next blog post will be June 4th

Quote from the book What Happens When We Pray For Our Families. Evelyn, page 106

A Father’s Blessing

As a medical doctor, our son-in-law Skip knows the importance of touching.  He also knows the importance of touching family members. But as the spiritual head of his house, he knows the importance of “blessing touching.”  For many years he has practiced spiritual blessings in their home.  Skip tells about it in his own words. 

As parents we are continually being encouraged in our efforts to lovingly nurture our children and spouses.  God’s Word and some recent writings on the importance of touching and blessing have had an impact on our family.  Our spiritual and secular culture has been rather silent with respect to the importance of the blessing.  Occasionally, we are affirmed by parents, teachers, and supervisors; however, touching is known to be vital in healthy social and emotional development. 

For several years we have shared together each week in personal blessings after our ‘special’ Sunday breakfast.  Our children clamor (usually) to be the first blessed.  Seated in our lap, the special person is surrounded by the rest and hugged and kissed by the “blessor.”  They are blessed in Jesus’ name for general or specific requests.  Other family members pipe in with particular things in that person they are thankful for and for special spiritual blessing they are led to offer.  Frequently we ask for healing blessings….

As a family encouraging and affirming one another with our words, prayers, and affection, we covet God’s cement to help us grow together and strong in Him.  The family blessing is one of God’s tools that help us accomplish this.

Oh, what a wonderful idea.  Family Blessings!  I wished I had done this in our family.  Can you imagine how children would feel to be blessed like this?

My children are grown up.  Is it too late?   Is there someway to do something like this with our grown children?  It would seem to me that no matter how old you are, it would feel wonderful to feel that your parents are praying for God to bless their lives, but even more exciting to do it together.

For many years I have been writing out my prayers for my children.  I have a notebook for each one of them.  It has always been so encouraging to be able to write an answer to prayer that I had written as a request, minutes, days, weeks, months, & years before.

I think I am going to try something new.  First, I still have one grandson who is 2.  I hold him all the time, and in this chapter it encourages us to pray for them as we hold and touch them.  I have done that sometimes, but I want to make it more regular. 

Then I also have three other grandchildren that live many states away.  I need to get creative.  Maybe I can write to them and tell them I am going to pray for God’s blessings on them.  Now, they are already very blessed, but who knows how God will answer.

Now, what about my grown children?  How can I pray Family Blessings for them?  I could write out prayers of blessing in each of their notebooks, but I am going to pray for creativity on how I can do this.

This chapter has blessed by heart to much.  Thank you God!

Romans 10:12
For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call him.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment