Monday, December 23, 2013

What Happens When God Answers by Evelyn Christenson

  Chapter 3:  When God Answers…You prayed the wrong prayer

Page 27

That God will not answer prayer under certain conditions is just as clearly taught in the Bible as is that He will answer the prayers of His children at other times.  Even though they had prayed, James said:  “Ye ask and do not receive, because ye ask amiss, to consume it upon your lusts”. (see James 4:3)

There are two kinds of prayer to which God answers, “You prayed the wrong prayer.”  First, there is the prayer that asks for the wrong thing—which God in His holiness never would grant.  But then, there is the prayer to which God would have answered yes, except that it was for the wrong reason.


Wrong Motives

 
The reason God sometimes answers no to our prayers is that we prayed with the wrong motives.  Although the things for which we ask may be good in themselves, we want them for the wrong reasons.  So, even though we do ask, we do not receive.

This was an amazing chapter.  I pray all the time, but honestly have not thought about my motives.  This is something that I want to stop and take a good look at as I pray.  Evelyn even gives some examples of our motives that would not be good.

Page 28

Here are some of the common, everyday motives that creep into our praying; praise, fame, love of power, love of display, love of preeminence, status over others, ease, comfort, personal satisfaction, self-pleasing, self-vindication, gratification of sinful desires, and revenge. 

Page 31

A wrong motive makes it a wrong prayer—which, of course, God won’t answer.

So I want to stop and look at the prayers I have prayed recently and how or if God has answered.

My Prayer:

I have been praying for my son Jeremy for quite some time, but it does not seem like God is answering.  He seems to be getting worse and not better.  I need to spend some time thinking about my motives in my prayers.  In fact, I want to pray for God to show me my motives.  This is going to be challenging for me, but I need to find answers.

Page 32

It is possible that we are deceiving ourselves, as well as other people, about our motives in prayer, but never God.  He is aware of our hidden attitudes and motives –many times unrecognized even by ourselves.

Please pray for me as I learn to discover my motives in my prayers.

Merry Christmas to all of you!  Thanks for following my blog this year.  You have blessed my heart on this Journey.  I was not alone.  My thoughts and prayers will be with all of you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment