Tuesday, December 10, 2013

What Happens When God Answers, by Evelyn Christenson

I am so excited to read this book.  I have spent the last year reading Evelyn’s books about prayer, but now it sounds so refreshing to begin understanding more about Answers to our Prayers.

When I read the first chapter I wanted you to be able to read the whole chapter with me.  It felt so good to think about how God is going to answer my prayers and what comes after His answers.  You all know this has been a very hard year for me, but I wonder, where God is taking all that I have learned through the pages of Evelyn’s wonderful books.  I will wait and watch God show me.

Page 1

When God answers a prayer, it is not the final closing curtain on an episode in our lives.  Rather, it is the opening of the curtain to the next act.  The most important part of prayer is what we do with God’s answers and how His answers affect us.

God never intends that an answer to prayer be an end in itself.  He expects much more than an emotional response—joy, disappointment, or anger—to His answer.  He expects us to be prepared to act or to be acted upon by His answer to our prayers.

God’s answer to a prayer is His means of accomplishing His will here on earth.  The way He answers reveals to us His sovereign will, His plan, His reasoning, and His perspective on the subject.  We must ask, “What does God expect to accomplish with this answer?”

These words have challenged me to stop and take a good look at the way I pray and what I expect to happen when God answers. 

Looking back on my life, it seems like quite awhile since I have experienced that incredible joy when we see God’s answers to my prayers in a big way.   Everyday I see small answers to my quick prayers for the little things in life, but I have been waiting on God for many years to unfold his plan for my life.  I know he has been preparing me for his ultimate will for my life, but it seems so long.  I am so... ready to see his answers.

I wrote a poem several years ago that shares my thoughts on waiting on God.  I’d like to share this poem with you today. 

 In YOUR Time

 Years ago, this all began.

Over and Over I questioned your plan.

I thought I LISTENED, I tried to OBEY,

But the Learning continued day after day.

 

Many days I wanted to let everything go,

Like a stubborn child, I would tell you so.

Like a miracle you would send something along.

To give me what I needed to help me be strong.

 

My faith kept believing, it would happen in YOUR time,

But as each year would pass, I wanted that time, to be mine.

I tried to proceed, but a wall would hold me back,

Like a train that was charging, but then falls off the track.

 

You’ve broken down walls, in areas of my life,

You’ve broken my spirit, which caused me much strife.

At times I’ve wondered, “Where are you God?”  I’m all alone.

You’d wrap your arms around me, your love for me you’d shown.

 

When your timing, finally appears, joy will overflow my soul,

Because I know you’ve been preparing me, more than I’ll ever know.

I’m sure that I’ll be ready, for whatever the task,

Because you’ve taken the time needed, to prepare me in a way that lasts.

 

© Copyright 2012

 by Robin Gove

 

I am still waiting on God’s answers to his plan for my life and the work that I have done, but I know he is preparing me for it.

Page 8

Since God’s answer is always that which ultimately will produce what is absolutely best for the pray-er, we must be willing for His intermediary answers.  They are the stepping stones He knows are essential to His ushering us into that eventual and state He desire for us.

Opening the Curtain

Jesus said in Matthew 7:7, “Knock, and it shall be opened unto you.”  What will be opened?  Whatever God has for you!  His next open door.  A better life with Him.  God is using the prayers you are praying today to open the curtain to the rest of your life.

Closing Prayer

Oh, God, I deeply desire to understand Your perspective of prayer.  Please teach me how I should respond to Your answers to my prayers so that You can direct my life through them.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

This book is incredible already, the first chapter.  I would encourage you to stop by this website and purchase this book.   


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment