Monday, November 25, 2013

Chapters 8-9 Where W Pray, To Whom We Pray


Quote from the book, What Happens When Women (We) Pray:

by Evelyn Christenson

 

Where we Pray

Page 79-80

 
Private Prayer—Public Praying

Do you have a secret place for private prayer, a certain corner, a particular chair, or a room set apart where you can spend time alone with God?  A “closet” where you daily shut the door to pray to your Father in secret?  The group concept of prayer is important, and we do need to pray with one another, “not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together” (see Hebrews 10:25).  But the drawing apart to pray in secret is perhaps the most vital type of prayer in which we engage.  It is also an indicator of the kind of prayer group participant we really are, for it is our private praying that determines the quality and validity of our public praying.

Other Closets

I can hear you saying, “I can’t spend great periods of my time in a closet.”  No, neither can I, but I have found another kind of closet praying.  It’s just drawing apart to God wherever I am—at the kitchen sink, at a desk, or even in a room filled with people.

Even a plane seat can be a prayer closet.

I remember when I first had the desire to spend time alone with God.  I was a young mother with small children.  It was challenging trying to find that alone time to read my Bible and pray, but like anything good, it began slowly.  I made a commitment to begin with 5 minutes a day.  That time quickly grew because when I made time for God, I felt so much better.  I longed to spend time with him. 

Then I soon realized that I was creating my own quiet place to get alone with God.  I called it My LISTENING Room.  Where ever I lived I would design a small area in my home, (even a walk in closet, see picture to the right) with the things that motivated me to spend time with God.  Doing this gave me great motivation to STOP and speak and listen to God.

When we Pray

Page 86

Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my meditation.  Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God:  for unto thee will I pray.  My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up” (Psalms 5:1-3)

It doesn’t say that hours of prayer time are necessary, but at least we must say “Good morning” to the Lord and give Him our day.  So whether you are a lark or an owl, God’s Word says early in the morning, before the tyranny of the urgent, before breakfast, before the school buses, before anyone says a word to you, “Early in the morning, Lord, I will look up, and pray unto you.”

I learned to be an early riser while living in the Philippines as a missionary. 

While living in the States, my time with God was regularly in the morning and I loved it, but living in the Philippines created a new time.  
 
There were people at our door very early in the morning.  Our days were so full and my time with God began to fade. I did not like how I changed when my time with God disappeared, so I prayed about it.  I asked God to show me a time that I could spend with him.  I never believed that he would answer my prayer in such a clear way.

One morning I woke up at 4:00.  I looked at the clock and then thought, “No, not now God”, but I could not go back to sleep, so I finally got up and had a wonderful time reading my Bible and praying.  I began to wake up every morning at the same time and honestly, I had more energy than when I would sleep in.

Finding time with God is challenging, so make it a time that works best for you.

To Whom We Pray

Page 96

Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.  Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you.  James 4:7-8

An often overlooked but very important part of prayer is the drawing nigh to God.  Before we are ready to start our intercessory prayers, we need to wait before God until we know we have established communication with Him.  This is a time of silence when we are shutting out every other thought and distraction around us.  This is not talking to God, just a complete mental drawing to Him, and then, as He has promised, He will draw nigh to us.

Wow, the words of this chapter hit me. Oh, my gosh!  I am so anxious to begin my prayers with praising him that I have not been waiting before God until I know we have communication.  This is really important.  How could I have neglected this?

I am going to take this week and begin waiting on God and see what happens.  Will I know that communication is open?  You can try it yourself, but I will share my experiences next week.

Also next week, we will finish the last two chapters of this wonderful book.  They are........ The Horizontal Dimension of Prayer—Results and Telephone Prayer Chains. 

This has been a wonderful year of remembering my dear Sister in Christ, Evelyn.  I have thought about the times we talked together.  Honestly, she is in heaven now, but she has taught me so much this year.  I wanted to finish all of her books this year, but think I still have three left.  I want to finish them all.  I hope you will continue this Incredible Journey with Evelyn in 2014. 

The three books left:

             November-December         What Happens When God Answers

             January - February                Battling the Prince of Darkness

             February – March                  Praying God’s Way

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment