Tuesday, January 22, 2013

CHANGED


It is 4:28 am.  I love the early morning hours of the day.  It's quiet and still.  The sound of the furnace running reminds me that it is the coldest day we have had this winter. I am thankful for my cozy warm house.  I'm looking out the window at the majesty of God's creation.  Stars are everywhere!  The peacefulness of the morning is all around me as I sip my favorite tea.  I have a busy day ahead of me, but I am thankful for these quiet morning moments with God. 
 
Quote from the book Lord Change me. Evelyn:  page 25

This time I was to let God change me through His Word while I kept my philosophy to myself.   

God has been speaking to me about the very same thing.  Did I share my philosophy way too much?  The reality that I could be turning my family away from God instead of towards him jolted me to action.  Questions filled my mind.  Could I really be still and not share my philosophy?  How could I ever change?  Would they ever see the changes in me? 

I must admit when I left my home yesterday, I was feeling pretty sorry for myself.  I kept thinking, “Why am I the one who always has to change?”  As the day went on, God answered my question.

While sitting in the beauty salon getting my hair cut, Terri, my beautician and I began sharing what was happening in our lives.  She told me about some changes she wanted to make in her life.  Then she said, “I heard the greatest song called, ‘Changes’.”  She immediately picked up her cell phone and began looking for it.  Within minutes the song ‘Changes’ was being sung throughout the salon.  The words touched my heart.   After the song had ended, the question in my heart disappeared.  I am not the only one who needs to change.  We all do.  The singer of this song must have gone through many challenging changes in his life and was singing about them. 

Where will I possibly begin to make any changes in my life?  As I began reading the second chapter of Lord Change Me, Evelyn words answered my questions.

Quote from the book Lord Change me. Evelyn:  page 22

Lord, I want to change.  But how do I discover Your ‘chaste and reverent’ behavior in 1 Peter 3:1-2? Especially since I’ve been trying so hard for so long?  Is there more, Lord?  How should I go about becoming what You want me to be now?”

This is exactly what I was thinking.  I had spent so many years of my life learning about changes and I wondered where I would begin again.

Quote from the book Lord Change me. Evelyn:  page 22

When I asked God these questions, He showed me that He gives answers.  All I need to do was ask.  He has promised “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.”  James 1:5

God will give me wisdom to know and understand how he wants me to change and how to begin doing it, but I need to ask him.

I remember especially the second time I read this book and began “reading until God speaks”.  I was amazed at how specifically God would direct me. 

Quote from the book Lord Change me. Evelyn:  page 25

I set out in earnest using the process God had taught me, allowing Him to tell me how He wanted me to change.  Staying in the Scripture for instruction, I would read only until He spoke.  Then I would stop to pray about what He had said, analyze His reason for stopping me at that particular point, discover the need He knew I had, and then determine what I could do to change.

I am going to stop right here in the middle of Chapter two and spend this week, in the book of Psalms, reading the Bible until God speaks to me.  Next Tuesday I will share with you the details of my week.

Dear God,

Please go before me this week.  As I open my Bible and begin reading until you speak to me, please give me wisdom to hear and understand your voice. 

 

 

. 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment