Sunday, February 9, 2014


What Happens When God, Answers by Evelyn Christenson 

Chapter 9:  When God Answers…Make Restitution

Page 117

Although God no longer holds us accountable to Himself for the sins He has forgiven, we still are responsible to the human beings we have hurt.

After praying, “God, I have sinned,” and taking the steps of repenting and being reconciled to Him and others, are we absolved of all further responsibility and action.  No.  We still have a responsibility to the one against whom we have sinned.

While we must be reconciled to God when we sin, restitution is only made to the persons against whom we have sinned.  There is no way we can repay God for violating His holiness.  All we can do is repent because we have hurt Him so deeply and love Him so much that we will do everything in our power to restore our relationship with him.  Then we can serve Him with a new passion, making up for the lost days of opportunities. But our human relationships are different.  Reconciliation to people against whom we have sinned or committed a crime usually includes making restitution of some kind.

I have tried to live my life trying to build good relationships.  In fact, I cannot stand bad relationships.  I will work at making a relationship right until it is right. 

So, thinking about restitution is a very thought provoking subject.  I think I need to pray about it.

Dear God,

Is there someone in my life that I have wronged and need to make restitution?  If there is, I want to make things right.  Please direct my paths.

Page 117

This is the step of restitution. It is making amends, making good for a loss or damage.  It is giving back to the rightful owner something that has been taken away.  When we have sinned, it is our duty to make amends to the one victimized by our sinning.

Honestly, I have never really thought much about restitution.  I almost feel at a loss for words.  One person has come to my mind.  I wonder if I need to make restitution to someone.  It is defiantly something I need to pray about.

Page 130

Closing Prayer

Oh, God, forgive me for being insensitive to those I have hurt.  Forgive my selfishness.  Father, bring to my mind all those to whom I need to make restitution.  God, I will wait in silence for You to bring to my mind the steps You want me to take.  Please give me Jesus’ love for them and Your courage to be obedient to Your expectations of me.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment