Monday, February 17, 2014


What Happens When God Answers by Evelyn Christenson 

Chapter 10:  Restore the Sinner

This chapter is filled with so much treasure it will be pretty hard for me to cover everything.  If this subject speaks to your heart, please find a copy of Evelyn’s book, “What Happens When God Answers and read Chapter 10, or order the book from the following link.
 

Page 131

When catching a sister or brother sinning, how often we pray, “Oh, God, what do I do now?”  And the surprising answer from God is already recorded in the Bible. 
Restore that sinner.

Brethren, even if a man is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in the spirit of gentleness. (Galatians 6:1)

What does it mean to restore?  Paul had in mind here the mending of something that had been damaged.  Restoration is the responsibility of those Christians surrounding the sinner.  Repentance, reconciliation, and restitution are all the responsibility of the sinner; but, shockingly, restoration very likely must be done by the one sinned against, and it may even be the victim’s job.

However, restoration does not begin while the person is sinning.  It is when he or she is “caught” trespassing that the process begins.  There can be no real restoration without the sinner fulfilling the other three “R’s” preceding it—repentance, reconciliation, and restitution. 

Page 134

How do Humans Restore Sinners?

Now that we know restoring the sinning brother or sister is not optional, we ask God, “But how do we go about restoring such a one?” The Bible is full of God’s instructions on this oft-neglected subject.

 
Rebuking the sinner is his first instruction.

Restore by forgiving

Restore by praying for the sinner

Restore by praying with that sinner

Restore by loving, not legalism

When the repentant sinner being restored is truly loved, he or she usually responds to that love and begins the process of loving us and, even more important, himself again.

Page 142

God cannot restore the sinner until that sinner accepts his forgiveness.

This chapter was very interesting because this past year I had the opportunity to encourage someone who was a repentant sinner trying to change.  Interesting enough the steps to restoration were the steps that Evelyn talked about.

The first step is the hardest, realizing that they have done something wrong and they need to make it right.  It is never easy to say I am sorry, or please forgive me, but once it is done, the next step is easier.

There is nothing more beautiful than to see someone’s life restored because they followed the steps to restoration.  They accepted God’s forgiveness and were led to a wonderful place of forgiveness.  I will be praying this prayer in my life.

Page 154

Closing Prayer

Father, teach me your steps in the restoration process.  Help me to examine where I am in all my relationships with others.  Make me aware of how I am hurting them, and help me correct it.  Make me a restorer to those who need me.  Take my hurts from other people and in Your time, and in Your way, restore me to perfect oneness with them and to perfect rest in You.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment