Monday, January 20, 2014

What Happens When God Answers by Evelyn Christenson


 
Chapter 6:  Repent

This chapter says so much.  I cannot go on sinning when God has shown me that something I am doing is a sin.

You know, does this work with overeating.  Do I know I should stop eating or drinking too much soda, but I still keep doing it?  I need to quote several paragraphs from Evelyn’s book because I cannot explain it any better than she has.

Page 72

When we have prayed, “Father, I have sinned, “how does God answer us?  Does He say, “Now that you have confessed the fact that you have sinned, it will be all right”?  Oh, no. God commands us to “Repent!”

A bewildered wife called me asking for prayer.  She said that her husband was sleeping with another woman, then getting up the next morning and asking God to forgive him.  He told his wife it was OK because God always forgives us when we ask Him to.  “Is this true?” the wife questioned.  “Does he have a right as a Christian to live this way?”

“No,” I replied and then shared a part of Romans 6 with her:  “Are we to continue in sin that grace might increase?  May it never be!” (vv.1-2)  “Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body that you should obey its lusts, and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God” (vv.12-13, NASB)

After we have identified a specific sin in our lives as sin and have admitted it to God in prayer, we humans are prone to say to ourselves, “Now, just forget it,” or “Oh, that’s really not a sin.”   Or we may say, “You really didn’t mean to hurt anybody,” or “That’s not such a bad sin.”  But God says, “Repent!”

Wow, God is speaking to my heart.  I believe he told me years ago that having too much soda in my life was sin.  ( Actually, anything in excess can be sin.)  I tried hard to run from that thought, but there was always a nagging that something wasn’t right.  Caffeine in my soda was controlling me.

I have asked God over and over to forgive me for my addiction to a certain soda.  I would repent and try and change for awhile, but eventually it went back to normal.  I was consumed by my soda.

I have been wondering lately why it seemed like my prayers were not going anywhere.  Could this be why?

Page 75

The first prerequisite for prayer power in our lives that we study is “no known unconfessed sin in the life of the pray-er.”

If I want the power of prayer to be evident in my life I need to confess my sins regarding my soda controlling me.  Then I need to repent and turn from it.

It is interesting because I am doing another blog called, www.insideoutsidemakeover.com The Journey with God that we will be doing next week is “Do I Really Want to Give Up My Craving?” 

It is so like God to bring these two blogs together so my eyes are opened to the unconfessed sin in my life.

It is time to surrender and pray.

Dear God,

Please forgive me for allowing soda (does anything control you?) to control me instead of you.  I want to obey you and repent of my sin and then turn from it.  I will need your help to resist my temptation.  Thank you for what you are going to do.  In Jesus name, Amen.
 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment