Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Chapter 9: Losing My right to Harbor an Unforgiving Spirit

Quote from the book Gaining Through Losing. Evelyn:  page 120

Have you ever battled with your right to harbor an unforgiving spirit?  When you are hurt by what someone says or does, do you feel you have the “right” to turn that person off, shun him, or even hate him?  When things just aren’t the way they used to be, do you feel you have the “right” to keep it that way?

I have been teaching the biblical precepts of forgiveness from my book What Happens When Women Pray for several years now.  I used to wonder how effective this teaching was—if the actual forgiving really worked.

But I don’t wonder anymore.  One of the greatest joys has been watching these instructions bring visible results in the lives of those doing the forgiving.  I have been astounded at the gains that have come to those who have been deeply hurt and then, by forgiving, have indicated their willingness to give up, lose their “right” to nurse a wounded spirit. 

Forgiving others does not come easy, but when I have seen the results in my own life, it motivates me to forgive again.

While living in the Philippines as a missionary I learned first hand that forgiving others is hard, but the rewards are a blessing.

We lived in what was called a Church House.  It was a large building that had two apartments on the first floor, an open space for a church, a small apartment, and then our 700 square foot apartment on the second floor.  At one point we had 26 people living, working, and socializing in this building. 

Now, I cannot stand bad relationships, so I was constantly working on the relationships in this living arrangement. 

There was one missionary woman that I really did not like very much.  She lived in one of the lower level apartments with her husband and three children.  She was not involved in ministry, so I wondered why she was there.

Many things happened that created negative relationships with her.  I did not want to even be around her.  I avoided seeing her.

Then one day God impressed on my heart that I needed to talk to this women and invite her to do a Bible study together.  My response to God was, “No Way!”  I tried to ignore God’s prompting in my life, but totally lacked peace in the situation.  Finally I said to God, “OK, I’ll ask her, she’ll say no, and that will be that.”

It took a lot of courage to talk to this woman.  I really could not do it on my own.  I asked God to give me what I needed to ask her.  Then one day, it happened.

I saw her outside and realized this was the time for me to talk to her.  So I asked her if we could talk.  I said, “I was thinking about doing a Bible study and wondered if you would like to do it with me.”  I was waiting for her to say, “No”, but I was shocked when she said “yes”.

We began to meet together once a week to go through a Bible study together.  What I discovered is when you have an unforgiving heart with someone, if you study the Bible together with them, everything changes.

Little by little as we talked together, I began to understand the “whys” in her life.  She had been on the mission field for a long time and was worn out.  She was due to go back to the States for good and she had shut down.  She was hurting.

When she ended up leaving to return to the states I could wrap my arms around her and tell her that I loved her, and really mean it.  Only God can do this in a relationship.

I gained a lot by losing my pride and just being obedient to God.  It felt wonderful.

Since then I have written a Bible Study called, “The Fruits of the Spirit”.  This study was written for people who are having relationship problems.  When you learn together about the Fruits of the Spirit, it is hard to stay mad at someone.  God transforms a bad relationship into a love relationship.  If you are interested in having this study, send me an e-mail and I’ll send it to you.  youjustwrite@gmail.com

Colossians 3:13
Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another.  Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

Dear God,

Please speak to me about any relationship in my life that requires forgiveness.  Please help me to follow through with actions.  Thank you for speaking to me.  Please help me to listen.

We have three more weeks in this book "Gaining Through Losing". 

1.  Losing My Rights to My Money
2,  Losing My Right to be an Unfit Christian
3.  Losing My Right to be Free from Suffering


The next book will be a 6 week study called, What Happens When Women (Men) Pray.  For the next 12 weeks, we are going to add men to this title.  I hope it will be ok with Evelyn.  I know this book is for everyone, so for the next 6 weeks we will call it, "What Happens When We Pray."  The chapters are shorter, so we will try and do two chapters a week.  Invite your friends to join us.
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment